“ Grandpasgreenthumb is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to the Amazon site. I make a small commission if you use that affiliate link, which helps me to pay for my site.”
6 Best Garden Spades.. A Review
In this review on the 6 Best Garden Spades, I want to get down to the nitty gritty of Spades. There are an incredible variety of these implements available on the market. They come in all sorts of sizes and are made from many different materials. I will only look at the those that would be suitable for the beginner gardener. So I have chosen the following that I feel are the most suitable:
STAINLESS STEEL SPADES:
These spades are usually of a superior quality and long-lasting. They have a sharp edge on the blade and are a fantastic tool to use for digging and edging. I have reviewed two models here.
Average price: $58
Guarantee: 10 years
This is a traditional English style spade with a stainless steel blade and timber handle. Even though the guarantee is for 10 years, I know they will last a lot longer.
- Beautifully crafted, rust free blade and molded timber handle.
- Excellent quality with a 10-year guarantee.
- Can cut easily through hard soil with the exceptional sharp edge.
- A beautiful, shiny looking product.
- Somewhat dearer than other brands.
- Occasionally some spades have minor molding flaws that can look slightly rough.
There isn’t a lot of negative things you can say about these spades. They are simply a pleasure to use. I remember a friend of mine, who owned and ran a mail order plant business, Absolutely loved his. He used it every day digging up plants that had been ordered by his customers. He never let anyone else use it, and he cleaned and polished it at the end of each day.
2. Radius Garden 201 PRO Ergonomic Stainless Steel Spade
Average Price: $50
Guarantee: Comes with a lifetime warranty on defects.
- Great spade for those with arthritis
- Beautiful ergonomic handle
- Ideal for smaller people.
- lifetime guarantee
- Extra-wide raised forward step, offset from shaft for better leverage and comfort
- Not for big Guys.
- Can be expensive
- Blade may need sharpening before use.
This is an excellent spade for edging and root cutting. Ideally suited for those with arthritis. Not so good for heavy garden use or for taller people. You will still get good use from this tool however, personally I don’t believe it has the quality of the Spear & Jackson Spades.
RATING 7/10 (For arthritic people) 5/10 (for average gardener)
FORGED STEEL SPADES:
The forged steel spades, like the stainless are usually strong and durable. I have listed several brands here.
3. Spear & Jackson R400 Forged steel spade.
Another great spade from Spear and Jackson. This one comes with
an English style heritage handle and forged 32″ steel blade.
Average Price: $80
Guarantee: 10 year. (A true guarantee., more then a warranty)
- Well crafted and has that English style wish bone handle.
- Well likely last a lifetime.
- Heavy duty, can easily handle the toughest job.
- Ease of digging with its sharp blade.
- Treated head for comfort.
- Fairly expensive.
- Again, slight faults can be found in some welds.
- English company, but made in China.
- It’s not stainless steel.
Another fantastic spade from Spear and Jackson. If you don’t mind paying a bit extra this spade, as well as the 4450DS (stainless steel discussed above), will last you a lifetime. They come with a 10-year guarantee. I still have mine after some thirty years of extremely rugged use.
We will now look at the final half of Our
6 Best Garden Spades
4. Fiskars 46 Inch Steel D-handle Square Garden Spade.
This is a great spade for its price range. However, it does have some issues with high stress points.
Average Price: $27
Guarantee: No real Warranty or Guarantee. They state they will replace if it has defects.
- Excellent price for a good spade.
- Easy and light to use.
- Great for edging garden beds.
- Strong and sturdy in most parts.
- Handle may need reinforcing with extra screws.
- Oversize steps on blades can be awkward.
- Will need sharpening before use.
- Blade will last many years, plastic handle may not.
I have rated this spade higher than I normally would because of its price. It’s a good overall spade that is easily affordable for the beginner gardener.
OTHER SPADE TYPES:
5). Truper 31202 Tru Pro Garden Spade.
This spade has a 29-inch pro grade fiberglass handle with a D grip. The manufacturers state that the blade is constructed of heavy-duty 14-guage steel. The spade has a rivet less, crimped, steel collar ring that connects the neck and handle. There is also a protective sleeve over the thick fiberglass handle that prevents splintering.
Average Price: $28
Guarantee: Life time Warranty on defects
- Excellent price.
- Durable, splinter free handle.
- This is a great spade for light work.
- Excellent spade for smaller people and women.
- The spade head is somewhat on the small size.
- This is not a good spade for large jobs.
- Metal blade has been known to bend when used for heavy jobs.
This is a handy spade for light work, however, I would not suggest it as a good one to purchase for the beginner gardener. When building gardens spades need to be tough enough for all jobs, and although the handle and shaft are made from strong durable materials, the blade is known to bend with heavy use.
6. Union Tools Garden Spade- 46173
Sometimes we just don’t have the money for the quality spades that last a lifetime, so if you’re looking for a cheaper spade that won’t cost you the earth, then this is the one for you. This tool is a good all rounder and can handle most jobs in the garden.
Average Price: $23.20
guarantee: Comes with a 5 year Warranty on defects.
- Good Solid shank.
- Good for most jobs.
- Not to pricey.
- Blade will need sharpening.
- Shovel face is small.
- Not strong where handle and blade connect.
- Handle a bit short.
Should you decide to purchase this spade I would sharpen it first and only use it on light jobs in the garden.
MAKE A CHOICE:
I hope you enjoyed this review on the 6 Best Garden Spades, and are able to make a choice from either the list above or, from another brand you might have heard about. If there’s a brand you’re interested in and I haven’t mentioned it, please leave a comment in the section below and I will give you a personal review on it.
As I have mentioned before, you only get what you pay for. A good quality spade will last you a lifetime. I know, because I still have many tools I purchased years ago. I also have tools I inherited from my father, some of them would be over sixty years old now and still going strong.
If you would like more information on spades ==>Click Here<==
May you enjoy your gardening adventure. All the best. Jim