“ Grandpasgreenthumb is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to the Amazon site. I make a small commission if you use that affiliate link, which helps me to pay for my site.”
What Are the “5 Best pruners for 2019”
One tool that comes in very handy in any garden and is an important implement to have in the shed, is the secateurs or also known as pruners.. Ideal for tip pruning bushes, deadheading flowers and cutting back roses, this tool is extremely useful and can make life a lot easier for every gardener.
The humble secateurs comes in many shapes sizes and prices. It probably is the tool with the widest product range on the market when it comes to gardening.
I don’t intend to go over the different varieties of this type of implement in this blog, instead I will be simply looking at five of the best products available for you to purchase.
If you want to know more about secateurs, you can find a blog where I describe some different styles by either looking at the category boxes on the right of this website or by clicking here.
In the meantime I hope you get some value from my “Garden Secateurs” review.
1)Felco F-6 Classic Pruner For Smaller Hands
This is an excellent quality product that is great for tip pruning and keeping your rose bushes trimmed.
1). Very Sharp
2). High quality
3). Easy to use.
4). Fantastic for those people with smaller hands
5). Premium high quality shears that will cut through most 1 inch (25mm) wood easily.
1). Trigger mechanism can make them hard to open.
2). A bit pricey
Further Benefits mentioned by the maker.
- This is one incredibly well made bypass pruner
- It is comfortable to use yet every bit as sturdy and powerful as any other of the Falco pruners
- This great tool is ideal for small pruning work such as grape vines, shrubs and young trees, and is also the first choice of many florists
- Ideal pruner for small pruning work such as grape vines, shrubs, and young trees
- Made for smaller hands.
- Lightweight metal handles
- Blades are made of high-quality hardened steel and have a 0.8-inch cutting capacity
- Limited lifetime warranty
I would have rated these higher as they are an excellent quality tool but I had some issues with the pair I own, and at times found them difficult to use due to there size.
I suffer from arthritis and even though the handles were extremely comfortable my hands would hurt from the effort of opening them up. However, if you are young, have small hands but good strong hands, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Here we have number 2 of the 5 Best pruners for 2019.
Another great secateurs, and one that I currently own and have been using for many years. I have owned several Fiskar models over the years and have done a lot of work with the during my gardening career. Some people don’t like these shear but I think they’re great, I have never had an issue with them.
1). Come with a lifetime warranty.
2). Ergonomic handles for ease of use.
3). Cutting through branches up to 3/4 inch (2mm) is easy with the rotating bottom handle.
4). High quality Metal.
5). Will handle a diversity of jobs easily.
1). If you are left handed you will have issues using this tool as it rotates right on the bottom handle.
2). Some people complain that the tool needed sharpening after a year of use. I listed this under a con, but tell me what tool doesn’t need constant sharpening.
3). It has been reported that some customers have been receiving the new Fiskars model ‘powergear 2’ when ordering the above. The new one is cheaper in every way including price
Further Benefits as mentioned by the maker.
- Power Gear Bypass Pruner. Pruning And Trimming Tools
- Manufacturer: FISKARS INC P
- Manufacturer part number: 79366939
- PowerGear design maximizes leverage for increased pruning power
- Replaceable ultra-hardened steel blade is designed to stay sharp longer
- 3/4-inch cutting capacity is perfect for pruning green growth
- Reinforced nylon handles engineered for strength and lightness
- Lifetime warranty, PowerGear tools awarded ease-of-use commendation from the Arthritis Foundation
If you receive the correct model then I would give it a 9/10.
If you received the new model ‘powergear 2’ I would sent it back for a refund. Rating 4/10
I absolutely love my original model 7036, it is a beautifully made piece of equipment. I hope it lasts me through my gardening lifetime because I won’t purchase the new model. I don’t understand why a company would bring out a newer, cheaper brand. When you’re on a good thing… stick to it.
This is another fantastic pruner, and one that I have in my armory. This a light weight long lasting product. I have had mine for many years. Once every year I take it apart and give it a good clean up and sharpening. You’re probably wondering by now, just how many does he own.
Well, you must remember that I have been doing gardening for a living for many years. I also have had various staff members over those years. I don’t believe in being stingy on money as these tools go through a lot of wear and tear and need to be able to handle being thrown around, often lost for days and left out in the weather. This one handles all that with ease.
1). A long lasting Tool.
2). Easy to use.
3). Light weight.
4). Blades are very sharp when new.
5). Ideal for a larger hands.
1). Not for people with smaller hands. However Felco do make one for this situation. The F6.
2). Not really much else I can say on the negative side except they are expensive.
More Benefits as mentioned by the maker.
- Anvil blade with a sap groove
- A hardened bolt and nut to assure exact adjustment of both the cutting and anvil blades
- Rubber cushion and shock absorber
- Ideal pruner for light applications and easily adjustable
- Features strong blades with a wire cutting notch
- Lightweight metal handles
- Blades are made of high-quality hardened steel
- Limited lifetime warranty
This is definitely my favorite tool for quality. I wouldn’t go without one. I realize the price is a bit steep. If you want to stick to ones that cost less then $15 fine, however you will be purchasing around six of those for every one of these.
I’ve never actually owned a pair of Gonic secateurs, however I do have gardening friends that have. Therefore my review on this brand is based on their opinions along with thousands of others that I researched on line.
1). Comfortable ergonomic handles.
2). Incredibly sharp
3). Good quality.
4). Very reasonable for the quality of the tool
5). Good for both men and women to use.
1). The retaining screws that hold the lock socket together have been known to strip out.
2). Its one of those annoying types that have the spring constantly pop out.
3). Won’t cut anything more then 3/8 inches thick.
Further benefits as described by the Makers.
- Drop forged body and handles.
- Quality blade made of Premium Titanium steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sap groove design to help keep pruning shears from sticking by channeling off sap.
- Pruners can cut up to 3/4″ diameter size tree branches.This may vary depending on tree species.
Having never used these myself I had to go on what others tell em. If you’re after a cheaper but reasonable pruner, this might be the one for you.
Unfortunately it has some bad habits that professional gardeners hate. With springs popping out and screw coming lose, it’s not an ideal unit for lots of hard work. For this reason I was unable to give it a high score.
5). The Gardener’s Friend Pruners, Ratchet Pruning Shears, Garden Tool, For Weak Hands, Gardening Gift For Any Occasion, Anvil Style
1). Sturdy and can cut branches to 3/4 inch thickness.
2). Ratchet feature great for those suffering from arthritis.
3). Well made and can last many years.
4). Great Quality
5) Well priced for the quality of the tool.
1). The spring is known to break
2). Some people with small hands find the handle a bit large.
3). Can be difficult to lock and unlock.
More Benefits as mentioned by the makers.
- NO MORE PAINFUL PRUNING! – If you have a weak grip or hand pain from Arthritis or have other mobility problems but still love to garden, these are for you
- QUICK AND EASY CUTTING! – The unique and effective ratchet mechanism uses leverage to make cuts with a fraction of the effort of conventional pruners
- DEVELOPED BY PROFESSIONAL GARDENERS! – With over 30 years of experience in a family-run nursery, The Gardener’s Friends developed the perfect pruning shears, and this is the result
- PERFECT FOR TRIMMING FLOWERS, TREES AND SHRUBS — The ratchet system in these pruners can cut things as small as flower blossoms to 1 inch thick branches like a hot knife through butter
- GREAT FOR SENIOR GARDENERS — As we age, things become harder to do; these secateurs have an ergonomic design that makes handling and using them pain free, safe and simple.
Again I couldn’t go any higher with my rating of this product, regardless of the fact my neighbor owns one and loves it. To many people have had issues with the size of the handles. Overall its a good tool and if your hands are big. I’d buy it.
So there you are:
I picked out the top five for several reasons, the major ones being that either I or someone I knew had used them. In the end I personally believe you are better off paying a bit extra to receive both quality and comfort. I hope you are able to make a choice from the above. However, I did include a cheaper model that would suffice and do the job well. If you didn’t find one in this blog that you think you might like to purchase then there are many more to choose from, simply click on one of the links I’ve supplied and check them out.
I hope you enjoyed this review on the 5 Best Pruners for 2019.
If you have any questions about these or other gardening secateurs that you might want me to review , please feel free to either comment below or use the comment form in the “Contact Us” page above.
Happy Gardening. Jim